Its Pancake Tuesday and for the day thats in it I thought I would give you two failsafe pancake recipes that I honestly live by! There are loads of pancake recipes out there but these are my favourites for a healthy option or a classic so if you’ve been looking for a good pancake recipe… look no further!
The first recipe is for Oat Pancakes and is the recipe I use most for two reasons:
1. It is a great breakfast pancake as its thick and light as a breakfast pancake should be. And 2. Its Slimming World friendly so fits easily into my weightloss plan.
The recipe is free on the plan using your HEXB. But for anyone not on SW its a healthy alternative using oats and low fat yoghurt instead of flour and milk and butter.
The second recipe is for Classic Crepe Pancakes. These are a favourite in my family and I’d love to say that its an old recipe passed down from generation to generation but in the interest of full disclosure I have to tell you that it is actually a fool-proof Delia Smith recipe (So I guess it kind of is an old recipe passed from generation to generation lol)! But honestly, these are delicious and super simple to make. They also go well with savoury toppings if you’ve already had your fill of lemon and sugar!
- 40g Rolled Oats
- 90g Low Fat Yoghurt (Natural or Flavoured)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 2tbsp of Sweetener (optional but recommended if using natural yoghurt)
- Low cal spray oil
- Blend the Oats in a blender until you have a flour like texture.
- Mix your Egg, Yoghurt, Baking Powder and Sweetener into your blended oats in a bowl
- until you have a smooth consistency
- Heat a pan on a medium heat and spray with a low calorie oil (like frylight or similar)
- Pour mixture into the pan and cook until golden on the under side, then flip over to cook on the other side until golden.
This recipe can be used to make one large pancake, two or three smaller ones to stack, or you could make a heap of mini ones 🙂
You can Jazz these pancakes right up by adding blueberries to the mix and serving with bacon and maple syrup (or fruit syrup/agave for a lower calorie option). I have also on occasion added vanilla essence or lemon zest to the batter for a sweet alternative served with fruit and sweetened quark. The possibilities are endless!
Classic Crepe Pancakes
Makes 6-12 pancakes depending on the size of your pan!
- 110g Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 200ml of Semi-Skimmed Milk mixed with 75ml of Water
- 50g Butter
- Sift the Flour and Salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mix and crack your 2 eggs into it.
- Using a whisk, mix the eggs and flour together. When the mixture starts to thicken, gradually add your milk and water. Continue to whisk until all combined, any lumps should gradually disappear.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate any of the mixture stuck to the sides and whisk until you have the consistency of thin cream.
- Melt the butter and spoon 2 tbsps into the mixture and whisk to incorporate
- Heat a pan on a high heat and then turn down to medium once very hot.
- Use some of the remaining butter to oil the pan.
- Use a ladle to pour a sufficient amount of batter onto the pan and tip the pan side to side to evenly coat it with the batter.
- Leave to cook for roughly 30secs until light golden on the underside, flip the pancake and cook for the same time on the other side.
*Note the first one is usually a practice one 🙂 you may need a bit more or less batter in your pan or you might need to adjust the heat!
Well thats how Delia does it, and I wouldn’t be one to argue with her! These are my all time favourite pancakes, nothing else really compares in my eyes.
My favourite topping for these is lemon, sugar and butter… absolute classic. But I have been know to coat them in Nutella with some banana or opt for the savoury option. My favourite savoury flavours are smoked salmon with cream cheese and spinach, or ham, cheese, tomato and spinach… Yum!
So those are my favourite pancake recipes, be sure to let me know if you try them! You’ll be able to see me making the Delia ones later on my snapchat so Snap me on (Jenok9) or Tweet me (@) your own pancake pics!
Happy Pancake Tuesday Everyone!